Quick Search

Student Visas

Student Visas

Australia is a great place to come and study. It provides high-quality courses, a fantastic lifestyle and a welcoming environment for international students. Once you have been accepted into your Australian course, the next step is to organise your student visa.

Applying for a student visa

You can apply for your student visa only when you receive either a letter of offer from your education provider or an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE). Please note that if you submit a letter of offer your visa will only be granted once the eCoE has been issued.

You will need a student visa for the whole time that you study in Australia. You can apply for your student visa in person at your local Australian embassy, or by mail. All assessment level 1 students outside Australia can apply for their student visa online.

Citizens of India, Indonesia, Thailand or The People’s Republic of China can also apply online as long as applicants are residing in their country at the time of application.

Student visa requirements

There are different visa requirements depending on:

What type of study you are enrolled in

Student visas are divided into subclasses depending on the type of study you have enrolled in, and range from secondary school through to postgraduate study.

Your country of origin General and other student visa requirements

Regardless of visa subclass or assessment level, there are a number of general requirements that international students must meet in order to be eligible for a student visa. These include requirements relating to:

  • health
  • character
  • health insurance
  • debts to the Commonwealth
  • custody, accommodation and general welfare arrangements for students under 18 years of age.
  • English language proficiency.
New living costs requirements Parents of students living in Australia

If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child under 18 who is moving to Australia to study, you can also apply for permission to live in Australia as a student guardian. Student guardians can live in Australia for the duration of their child's course or until the child turns 18.

In order to be eligible, parents or legal guardians must meet the requirements listed above, relating to health, character and financial status. It is especially important that a guardian shows that he or she is equipped to provide for the welfare of the student.

Help with your visa requirements Fees and charges

A non-refundable visa application charge of AUD$450 applies to most visa applications, with the exception of secondary exchange students and students sponsored under Commonwealth approved programs.

In addition, there may be other expenses associated with your visa application, such as costs for medical examinations, police checks and the translation of documents into English (if required).

Back to top